Thursday, May 7, 2009

Joe

Joe has, as JP eloquently puts it, the desire to communicate. This is an extremely good desire to have, considering the state of Joe’s existence. I too would have a similar desire to communicate. As is said in a famous song, “you don’t know what you’ve got till its gone,” which is in this case very relevant. Assumedly, he did not value his vision, listening skills, and most importantly his ability to communicate with the outside world as much as he should have until they were taken away from him. Now, in arguably the time when he most needs to communicate, he is incapable of doing so. He is forced to sit in solitude for most of his existence until he can finally communicate through originally nodding and finally Morris code. I too would probably have the desire to condemn war unconditionally after such a life-changing event, however I do not think in any that all war is unnecessary, and I do believe there is a time when ones own life is less important then the communal good. 

1 Comments:

At May 8, 2009 at 8:48 AM , Blogger chuckles said...

I like your analogy between the "you don't what you've got till its gone song", (Big Yellow taxi maybe?) and Joe's inability to communicate with the outside world. You are probably right in saying that Joe didn't appreciate how important this ability was, and then it became what he desired more than anything.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home