Tuesday, April 7, 2009

nature sucks. well emerson's...

Nature, in its ministry to man, is not the only material, but is also the process and the result. All parts incessantly work into each other’s hands for the profit of man.

 

I think these lines are important because they depict how man has in the past and very likely future has treated nature. The difference between man and Eustis Conway (who is a man, albeit not a normal one) is that he allows the deer the honor of fighting back, and he honors in his battle. Normal man ruthlessly rapes the land without regard for other beings. Think of deforestation and the decrease in rainforests. Or even our burning of natural resources and its pollution in the environment leading to global warming and climate shifts. We are incapable of fathoming how our dependence on oil fosters the death of thousands of lemmings until they are faced with extinction or it is to late to reverse. I truly do think that our lack of respect and protection for the environment is one of the most serious issues as a population, so I thought this was an influential part. 

1 Comments:

At April 8, 2009 at 6:22 PM , Blogger chuckles said...

I agree D, we are royally screwing the environment. Just as Emerson says, nature is constantly used as a monetary gain for man, not as an important part of our world that we should live with, learn from, and respect. I like the reference to how Eustace honors nature by honoring that deer. You won't find that type of respect very often these days, instead we would rather fire dozens of shots into a tree at a possum for fun.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home