Monday, February 9, 2009

TV and what not

During Kendall’s text, she asserts that the media does not simply mirror society, however it shapes it and create cultural perceptions. While I do think that to some degree the media affects our sense of social inequality, I do not think it does to the affect that she outlines in the article. For instances, people know that sitcoms are not real life. Really, that’s not debatable, and while the media does portray the upper-class living and attempt to make it marketable, cannot this be fore the simple reason that we watch television for entertainment. If my goal is to be entertained, wouldn’t the carefree problems of the rich and the famous as described by television provide the happiest environment to this to proceed without depression. Really, I do not want to watch a sitcom about homeless people because that would be kind of depressing. So yes, it distorts our perceptions of inequality, however not to her extent. I think credit card companies incline Americans to run up credit card debt. I think lack of education and well-known knowledge about credit cards results in credit card debt. I think people aspired to wealth before the media, and really this is the base of credit card debt, not television. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home