Monday, February 2, 2009

Thank god for my "Y" chromosome

Jean Kilbourne believes it is dangerous to depict men and women as sex objects because it further objectifies women and continues the stereotype that men are dominant and women say no but do not really mean no. It does this in many ways, my favorite being taking ads that objectify men sexually and showing how it can be altered to actually reveal that it objectifies women.  The objectification of women is unquestionably more dangerous in her view because it allows common images of women being used and mistreated to continue, and it furthers the perception of rape and abuse of women to be ok. I do not contest this. I do believe that it is unquestionably harder to be a woman than a man in society, though I would actually believe that being a homosexual is frowned-upon more. Also, in all reality it is reasonable to believe that our society greatly contributes to the increase of sexual assaults and rapes on women, as explained by us having the highest rates of these for all industrialized nations. However where I lose this argument is in places like Europe that are also industrialized but objectify women in more ways. I am breaking a personal rule and taking evidence from a movie, and not a particularly accurate one at that so correct me if I am wrong. But in Eurotrip, it depicts a commercial for orange juice with two lesbians with no shirts on drinking orange juice. If these commercials actually happen in Europe, wouldn’t that be more objectifying then anything that happens in America? (Seriously I ask that as a question)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home