Sunday, February 8, 2009

rhetoric around the town

Two of the three examples of rhetoric that I found were located in downtown Carmel in the Arts & Design District, which is like a breeding ground for subtle rhetoric (and not so subtle rhetoric). Before I continue however, I would like to note that I like what downtown Carmel has turned into because I remember what it used to be like beforehand and this is much better.

 

My first picture is of the sign outside Joe’s Butcher Shop and Fish Market. This sign hangs over the sidewalk, depicting a crossed meat cleaver and butchers knife. It looks almost like a butcher sign you would find in colonial America with the picture being as important as the words because people could not read. It is a good example of rhetoric because it shows how Carmel wants to be a quant historic town like colonial America.

 

My second picture is of a sidewalk in Carmel. It is elaborately placed bricks that probably would have been equally as adequate for their purpose had it just been a line of cement. This again shows how Carmel wants to be a high-end town with colonial roots, though it would be more so with cobblestone (which is incidentally in my neighborhood), it is often safer to have actual brick.

 

My third picture is of a mailbox in my neighborhood. When we moved to Indiana (which I do not remember) we had a mailbox. A few years later, the neighborhood association decided to make uniform mailboxes for the entire neighborhood, which was fine because they were spacious and showed unity. However we are now onto our third mailbox in a fifteen-year period. These mailboxes are smaller and made out of wood instead of metal. Furthermore, they have a slot for newspapers underneath the mail spot. This shows rhetoric in my neighborhood as well because of our perverse obsession with mailboxes and how they interact with our daily life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home