Tuesday, February 17, 2009

nonacademically is now officially a word

I view school as a necessity that directs me towards a future that in all reality will have little to do with the academic results or even subjects of school. Looking objectively, this means that I should value my nonacademic education equally or even more. However, considering the amount that I complain about various things, it is likely that I come off as not valuing this piece of my education. So, I do not explicitly value my nonacademic education, however later in life I find it likely that I will inevitably find it increasingly important. What I value most is not what I believe in, but instead why I believe in things. Life is really just problem solving, and what I have learned at University as well as Sycamore are very different ways to solve problems. Probably one of the most nonacademically (not a real word) educational times in my life came at Sycamore in the drama club with wildly conflicting views with my teacher. Our differences allowed me to learn a lot about myself and other people and really just life. In retrospect, the nonacademic education of sycamore is defining in me because it taught me how to learn and evolve. Yes, I value ‘nonacademic’ education. No, that does not have to mean I love diversity day. 

3 Comments:

At February 17, 2009 at 4:53 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with you. The older we get the more likely we are to rely on nonacademic knowledge. The brain can only hold so many quotes, especially when we get older. Nonacademic smarts - how to deal with life's problems - are embedded. Nonacademic education, I think, results in what we call character.

 
At February 18, 2009 at 6:46 AM , Blogger JD said...

Yes I agree with you, as we age, academics, while still important, can be relied upon less and less in everyday life. Often people can succeed simply by knowing the right people and making the right friends. It is important to develop these skills so that we are not forced to go through life without help from others. While such a life can occasionally yield success, it is easier and more likely that one can find happiness through friends and nonacademic forms of education.

 
At February 18, 2009 at 6:47 AM , Blogger JD said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home