I am so hungry. i want cake.
In the book, Black Boy, the protagonist relentlessly complains of constant hunger. Wright speaks of hunger in a quite literal sense, but also his incessant hunger for knowledge or even understanding. He displays this throughout the first chapter, as he burns down the drapes, peeks under the doors of the saloon, or (my personal favorite) watches people from the open backside of a public latrine. One day, after waiting in bed for a man to deliver coal to his flat, he is taught to count, and he is enthralled by this new knowledge. He also exhibits this through his willingness to learn to read and constant questioning of his surroundings. Furthermore, when he does learn something, Wright often attempts to display it to everyone, through counting endlessly or writing dirty words on the neighborhoods windows. There is also something to be said for the constant physical hunger that Wright undergoes, as his father abandons his family and he is forced to work through hardship such as a single working mother and a hungry priest eating all his fried chicken.

1 Comments:
I do like your examples, and I agree that looking at the backsides of the public latrine was funny, but I would like to hear more about your thoughts on connecting these examples to the theme of hunger. I did forget about the coal man. Wasn't he hungry before he came? I think so... Anyway, I agree with you that the actual physical hunger he goes through should not be ignored.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home