Wednesday, February 18, 2009

horray prussia.

I believe in mandatory education to a point. I also acknowledge that whatever is that point is simply arbitrary because different people have different needs for education. However, everyone it is important that everyone learns history, English, some science, and even basic math. Gatto makes a point that we need education but not school, and I think this brings up an interesting argument because in essence it is correct. What Gatto does not take into account are the extracurricular things learned in school on accident that we talked about in class today, which I think are a necessity. I do think school is a necessity because people do need to learn to conform to society. That said, people need to learn not to conform to society as well, however generally speaking, you will get further in life having basically learned to conform. School is not for everyone, however in my perspective having never attended a public school a large enough majority of people benefit from school to legitimize it. I also think that school is genuinely meant to educate and not turn us into a Prussian army. Maybe we are inadvertently being turned into one though... 

4 Comments:

At February 18, 2009 at 6:37 PM , Blogger Arnold Friend said...

I think it's interesting that you say that people do need to conform to society, because after thinking about it, I agree with you, to an extent. There are many home-schooled children (not insulting any one person) who are not able to function as well in society because they have not been exposed to the same things that kids who have gone through the school system have. As for being inadvertently turned into an army... they are going to have to work a lot harder on me.

 
At February 19, 2009 at 6:08 AM , Blogger Erin Healey said...

Daniel-
I agree that people need to conform to society in order to be a part of it. I don't think that it's right, but our society is built around it. There is not much that can be done unless everyone is home schooled, which isn't very practical.

 
At February 20, 2009 at 8:21 PM , Blogger JD said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At February 20, 2009 at 8:23 PM , Blogger JD said...

This is a hardcore blog. Good work. I agree with you in that my perspective is skewed. When I was about three I was shut in a tight little box with airholes called sycamore; ergo I thought I was learning everything, but in reality, the world was developing a copious knowledge of rules and standards to common social interaction unbeknownst to me. I must say that i value the education I received there, but the lack of world exposure that I received yielded a rough transition to a more typical environment.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home