Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The San Francisco Chronicle: Day 5

Today we went to Stanford University, and got to sample California’s version of ‘college food.’ Unfortunately, it was nothing special, in fact it was the same quality food as other small colleges that are very prestigious. They had an Asian restaurant similar to an average Asian Chow, a sandwich place, a Mexican place, and a pizza place in the location we went to. On a random note, I would have to say that if you plan on choosing a school solely based on its foood, Stanford is not for you. Then again, if this is truly your preferance, you probably need to sort out your priorities just a little bit… Anyway, our only full meal came at dinner that night after a hearty search of the bountiful Fisherman’s Warf.

Dinner:

Tonight for dinner we ate at a restaurant called The 

Blue Mermaid, though some would consider that it was more of a bar then an actual restaurant. Quite frankly I was not particularly hungry after our college food experience, so I decided to sample their buffalo wings because they came in an appetizer portion, and I would have a legitimate thing to compare them with after Lou’s excellent wings the previous night. Frankly, The Blue Mermaid was not a very good restaurant, our first indication of this being the service. Initially I thought that our waiter’s inability to bring us water promptly was a momentary lapse, however as the night progressed I found I was wrong. We were half way into our soup and salad course before our bread came and he was incapable of refilling our waters without multiple explicit commands. The worst came later when we asked if he could do separate checks for us, and while he obliged, he missed the obvious hint that we did in fact want those checks. Our entire dinner was probably fifteen minutes longer solely because our waiter was so supremely inadequate. Another problem was that the menu was extremely limited. While it excelled in seafood, there was only one side to the menu and it did not contain very much selection. Now, as for the meal itself, the buffalo wings were eatable, but they were nothing more then that. They lacked the nice kick that Lou’s provided, and they were also breaded in some fashion that detracted from the actual wing. One benefit to the wings was that their quantity was sufficient and I must say that the water was nice and clean…

Current Standings

Osakaya

Farmers Market

Park Chow

Cucina Toscana

Lou’s

The Blue Mermaid

The Warming Hut

A boiled Croc

Wipe Out Bar and Grill

2 Comments:

At January 29, 2009 at 4:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry - did you spend your entire trip in San Francisco writing about food?

 
At January 29, 2009 at 4:21 PM , Blogger WonderousWonderWeasel42 said...

no, i spent part of the trip eating food

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home