I really do not have time to write this paper this weekend
I plan on writing my paper on…THE DEATH PENALTY. The death penalty is an extremely controversial issue among many people, however I am willing to say that I am a strong advocate for the death penalty. Until five minutes ago I believed that the death penalty saved large sums of money for taxpayers because it eliminated the cost of a life sentence without parole. I learned however that this is not true from a cool website that lists a bunch of interesting facts about the death penalty. Unfortunately the death penalty does not save money openly on paper, however I have a reason why this statistic may not be true. It costs the taxpayer money to hold more trials and appeals, and I believe that the number of appeals in death penalty cases is what expands the cost so much. Furthermore people who receive more minimal sentences are encouraged not to appeal. I believe that in states where there is no death penalty, it is likely that these cases have longer appeal processes and therefore cost an equal amount of money to the taxpayer. In that regard, the death penalty is actually economically better in comparison, however I am not sure if that is actually true…

3 Comments:
WOW! You have chosen a very interesting topic. I'm very enthusiastic about this. It would be interesting to see how this paper proceeds, but I will likely have no way of knowing this. I find it very interesting that you have brought up the monetary aspects of the death penalty, and while I believe that this is a perfectly reasonable stance to take, it is very likely that you will need to address the emotional aspect of it as well to ensure that your paper can be persuasive.
Good point Daniel! The worst is when people get double life sentences... Even though they may take up less money than putting them to death, they are still taking up a jail bunk, and many states are facing huge prison overcrowding. Good topic!
Ya I agree with Matt, besides taking up more court time the offenders with life sentences have to be taken care of (however minimally) for who knows how long. I realize that it doesn't sound like I'm talking about a human being, but hey they're in cages their entire life! Is their such thing as choosing between death and a double life sentence? Good topic!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home