Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Spearing the Grand Cyclopes

C.P. Ellis’s story was incredible almost to the point of being unbelievable, and it brought an interesting new perspective to racism. In Ellis’s case, it did not seem as though long term oppression of a race led to racism rather then oppression of the racist individual, and while this is many times not the case, I think it is important to note the difference. However, Ellis’s story does not offer a credible way of overcoming misunderstanding between races on a large scale. His solution, working together to do the good of the people is optimistic and worked in his circumstance, however it is quite obvious that many times highly educated union busters succeed. If they didn’t, their entire profession would not exist. As Ellis see’s it, the problem with the system is that those in power wish to retain it and must push everyone else down to do it. He made the claim that we, America, have the best government system in the world, and I do not think this is the case especially for his work. Unfortunately, problems cannot be fixed on a large scale with Ellis’s story because it simply is unfeasible. 

2 Comments:

At November 18, 2008 at 6:48 PM , Blogger Elmo said...

Although I agree that Ellis's solution could never work on a larger scale, I disagree with your logic. You write that the people with power want to hold the power, which is true, but from what Ellis described in his trials the does not inherently mean a discrimination against race. He writes that when he was in the KKK, most of the people were actually poor and uneducated. He, along with they, felt that they had been oppressed and needed someone to hate. In reality, if you're talking about power, they had little more than the black people they saw so inferior because they were so low on the socioeconomic ladder. They were just as much puppets of the power people as the black people, but as long as they could point and say, "At least we're better than them," they could have some source of contentment.

Somehow I feel like none of that made sense. It did in my head, anyway.

 
At November 21, 2008 at 11:57 AM , Blogger boboflojo said...

Daniel, the points that you offer are credible. They present an argument that interweaves with a larger spectrum. When I wrote my blog, I was geared more towards the positive aspects of his "argument," but after reading your assessment of the presented flaws, I may want to go back to my blog and rethink a few things. Unfortunately, I don't have the time for that, so I am off. I commend you, good sir.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home