My smoke alarm woke me up this morning, in case you were wondering
The socialization process is the way people acquire their beliefs and prejudices from their parents and surroundings as they grow up. Many times you notice that people have the same beliefs as their parents, and this is most likely because they are subconsciously planted into the person’s head by their parents. I do very much believe that this is a way that beliefs are instilled. For example, most individuals, at least in their teens, have the same political affiliation with their parents or community. This may not be because they believe in the affiliation, however they are taught by their surroundings what to believe. I think the best example of this is with racism and prejudices though. Most of the blatantly racist people whom I know have the same belief as their parents, and I would have to think that the parents are to blame. I am sure many of my beliefs have been instilled this way by my surroundings, though I think part of it is that you cannot be sure which they are. Just like the person in the article who was raised to dislike Jews and subconsciously did not work with them as adults, I do not think you can directly name by yourself which beliefs fall into this category.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home