due on friday!
Cora Tucker and Wily Loman have one huge difference in beliefs that separates them greatly, and this is their belief in the opinion of others. Willy Loman is completely obsessed with the opinion of others to the point that he believes that reputation alone can lead to success. Conversely, Cora Tucker does not care what other people think of her or say about her. She stands firmly for the things she believes in until her voice is heard, regardless of the consequences. In a way, they are both salesmen, attempting to push their views onto unwilling buyers. Cora uses her firm education and knowledge of points to defend herself, while Willy depends on the quality of his reputation and what people think of him. This is why when all his regulars die or retire, he is left without commission because he is incapable of convincing the younger generation of his character. Cora does not have this problem though, because regardless of others views she will state her point and make as much effort to make it heard as she can. She is more successful at convincing people who are not for her of her position then Willy.

2 Comments:
I agree with your thought that Cora and Willy are different in their thought of others. Cora obviously cares for the well being of others when Willy doesn't. I liked that you considered Cora a salesperson. I had not thought of her work as that, but I can see how it fits.
I thought your blog was thoughtful. Like Erin, I liked the comparison of Cora's work to that of a salesman. She does indeed have to sell her ideas to people. However, I'm not sure if Cora has a "firm education." She is knowledgeable about subjects relevant to her cause, but outside from facts and figures about civil rights and food stamps, she has a complete lack of education, as she confirms herself. In fact, she did not complete high school. Aside from that, good work.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home