Monday, September 8, 2008

Torture

The article we read in class on torture and subsequent opinions I have read on this topic through blogs has caused me to come to the belief that while torture causes extreme moral controversy, there are circumstances in which it is a necessary evil. The unlikely events outlined in the article would prohibit me from saying outright that under all circumstances torture is wrong. These examples that were outlined seem to me to be extremely hypothetical because they operate on simplicity that doesn't actually exist in reality (, mine, and ours. we all agree life isn't. so do not give me crap on my perception...). I cannot commit myself to believe that a one man terrorist organization aimed at extorting the government of millions of dollars in return for the deactivation code for a bomb is likely. Firstly, there are not many one man terrorist organizations. Secondly, to acquire a bomb this person must be extremely well funded and equipped to fulfill this circumstance. Let's examine why:

If the person bought the bomb, this means they are rich. Therefore they can afford better ways of keeping themselves from being caught then this person did. 

Let us assume then that the bomb is stolen. This requires information, and the knowledge of how to steal a bomb, how to arm it, and how to find a place remote enough to make it impossible for people to disarm. 

I really do not need to go any further then say let your imagination run wild, its extremely unlikely that there is a one man organization doing this type of thing. So, there is a group of people. In this case, its unlikely that the person who has been caught is actually high enough up to tell you how to stop the bomb in time. The point of this all is that i cannot really imagine a circumstance where it is truly effective to save lives. However, i find no moral qualms with the idea that a terrorist against my own beliefs that has committed serious crimes, like the murder of multiple US citizens should be tortured before being put to death in some humane or inhumane spirit. So in this spirit, its really hypocritically of myself not to sympathize with the torture side. While some might argue that under the circumstance of myself being tortured I would have different beliefs, and they would be correct. But since my perception of myself tells me its unlikely that I will ever be so for a cause to warrant this treatment, I am willing to take that chance. 

One final bit. I do not believe that any of us is actually fully informed on the matter, because due to national security it is not safe to disclose full information of such cases to the public. In this spirit I accept my ignorance and I am willing to trust those with the power to make decisions to do so in a way that is most beneficial to the American people. 

2 Comments:

At September 8, 2008 at 6:52 PM , Blogger Erin Healey said...

Daniel,
I agree with your first paragraph about not thinking that torture is wrong or necessarily right. I see where you are coming from and I sympathize with the problem of deciding which is wrong and which is right.
Your final paragraph sparked my interest. I hadn't thought of the idea that we don't know the details of everything that is going on in the government. It makes it easier for me to accept that I don't have a strong opinion for or against torture since I am somewhere in the middle.

 
At September 8, 2008 at 6:56 PM , Blogger Arnold Friend said...

I think that even though you are definitely one of the more extreme "believers" of this article that you are doing a good job of segregating your feelings from the issue and actually attempting to support your opinions. Of all of the hypothetical scenarios posted at the moment (of which there are very very many) yours actually helps your point.

I really do like your last paragraph, and I agree completely. We don't know everything the government is up to. For all we know (especially since the article was written in 1982), torture could be in use right now. I would like to think that it isn't, but this is war after all and, as someone said "all's fair in love and war" The issue we're talking about involves both: loved ones that might be lost and a war against terrorism (as overused as that phrase is, it fits)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home