biotech foods
Biotech foods are an extremely controversial form of food production and advancement. While I sympathize with the beliefs of those against biotech foods, I cannot bring myself overlook the increase in world hunger due to our increase in populations and slower increase in food production. While there are obviously risks to advanced and generally unknown technologies like biotech foods, the demand for such advancements is increasing at such a rate that they must be supplied in order to maintain our way of life. As our population expands and grows, we need more durable and nutrient-filled food products to enable our survival. Biotech food provides this even at the possible risk of future health issues. I support the claim that biotech foods should be labeled as such, however I do not believe it needs to be in negative connotations. A small symbol somewhere on the label, much like the recycling one, would suffice in informing the consumer in a positive non-committal way. It is always important for consumers to be aptly informed and allow themselves to make their own decisions based on their views and beliefs. This type of label would be an effective way of allowing that to happen.

1 Comments:
I agree with your opinion on this issue, because of the same reasons, too. However, I don't think that a symbol is necessary at all, because, as it said in the article, it would just confused the consumer and probably sway more people to NOT buy biotech foods because they are labeled differently. I don't think it would have the positive connotation that something labeled "organic" would have.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home