Saturday, August 23, 2008

Response to:Red Sky in the Morning

Indiana air is boring. It is humid, oppressive, and dull. Nothing like mountain air. THree years ago, my father and I went on vacation to Salt Lake City to go skiing throughout the various Utah ski resorts. On our third day, we decided to go to a resort called Snowbasin, where the Olympic downhill event was held when they hosted the winter Olympics in 2002. It was unique, because unlike the other resorts we went to that weekend, it was an hour drive away. I remember the drive vividly, seeing as we were listening to ESPN radio because it was the day the Colts were playing the Patriots in the playoffs that year. Finally, we arrived at Snowbasin and parked in the parking lot. After the hour-long car ride in ski attire, we were hot and sweaty, but there was not a cloud in the sky and the sun was reflecting off the fresh snow. I opened the door to the car, and the stale car air was replaced by fresh cool mountain air. My legs stretched down towards the ground and for those first few seconds I was lost in the beauty of the west. Of course, my minor epiphany was ended harshly when my dad hit me on the head with a ski pole because I was not getting ready, but since then, Indiana air has simply been inadequate, and it has been my dream to move out west. 

2 Comments:

At September 1, 2008 at 9:38 AM , Blogger Japes said...

I share your love of the west, being a skier myself. I have traveled to colorado multiple times, and I know the beauty and majesty you sense when looking at the mountains for the first time. Once you have been out west, coming back to Indiana is always a disappointment. I don't know if I will ever live out west, but I will definitely come visit you if you move there. (Hotels are too expensive).

 
At September 3, 2008 at 11:19 AM , Blogger JD said...

i too love skiing in the West, and I agree the view and natural beauty is fascinating but you forget the beauty of this location comes not only from its sublime appearance and atmosphere, but it also comes from your lack of exposure to such great settings. Your dream of moving West is very admirable, and your appreciation of this location is widely shared, but it is unfortunate that you have lost appreciation for Indiana's setting because once you set your expectations high, the only deviation from theory possible is to fail.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home